Update: Ever since this article first appeared on our site back in 2004, it has consistently drawn more interest than any other resource that we’ve offered. So when we re-designed our site in 2012, we figured we would publish it anew here in the blog to make it easier for people to find.
Sure, you and the writer had a long talk when you commissioned that story idea. But two months later the manuscript is on your desk, and who can remember what the article was supposed to be? That’s where an assignment letter comes in handy. After you and a freelancer have agreed on a story, recap the discussion in writing and send your letter (or e-mail message) to the writer. It will help you get the piece you want.
Once you’ve read through the guidelines below, have a look at our sample letter (a downloadable PDF document).
WHY WRITE IT?
- To build an editorial foundation for the story: A clear assignment letter puts you and the writer on the same wavelength. If your written description differs from the writer’s recollection, you have a chance to resolve the discrepancy before the first draft comes in. And when the manuscript arrives, the letter allows you to judge whether the writer delivered the story as promised. You can also circulate the letter to higher-ups to make sure they buy into the assignment and recall it later. When you distribute the manuscript to other editors for review, attach the letter so they too know what the idea was.
- To build a relationship with a writer: Writers want clear instruction; an assignment letter provides that and gives the writer something to refer to while reporting and writing. A careful summary of the story idea assures the writer that you’re a careful editor who wants to prevent those nasty surprises that so often pop up between writer and editor. The letter also lets you address a writer’s weaknesses—get two sources for every fact, avoid clichés, and so on.
WHAT’S IN IT?
- A clear, specific statement of the story’s concept, content, and approach: Quickly and specifically outline what the article will cover and the depth of information you expect, including perhaps the types of sources you desire (personal interviews, scientific studies, etc.). Send research materials you have collected. Enclose a sample story from your magazine that could serve as a model. Confirm the approach you have agreed to and, if you two have discussed them, outline the lead and structure.
- Your worries: Is the reporting going to be difficult? Say so. Are you concerned about the structure? Ask to see an outline. Are there points that absolutely have to be covered? Make sure the writer knows.
- Logistical information: Describe the magazine’s payment procedures, editing process, fact-checking needs; tell the writer if you’re going to be out of town and whether you prefer to work by phone or e-mail. You can create some of this information ahead of time to cut-and-paste into your assignment letters.
For more suggestions on working with writers, see our model rewrite letter and tips on getting the most from freelancers.
Download PDF: Sample Assignment Letter
Posted in Magazines, Resources
An assignment letter is a document that is used mostly in situations such as business bankruptcy and insolvency. It is a legal document which can be presented in courts when handling different cases. Examples of scenarios whereby this paper comes in are when a business owner is assigning a portion of his or her assets to a trustee for selling purposes and also when assigning specific rights to another person such as collecting payment on your behalf.
Our assignment templates get designed in the best way possible to usher you properly when creating one. An assignment letter template may also be said to be a Professional Letter of assignment or an assignment letter sample.
Salary Assignment Letter
The top of the page should have the name of the person or the entity issuing the letter together with their personal information such as the telephone number, email address, and the postal address. Below that it should indicate that it is a letter of assignment to give the form an identity. Next should be the full names of the people or entity in the agreement alongside their personal information.
After that, mention the duration of the assignment and the location of where the deal takes place. The body of the document should be concluded by listing all the details of the money that they parties will be handling. Finally, the parties involved should sign the paper to seal the agreement.
Appraisal Assignment Letter
The top of the form should read that the document is an appraisal assignment letter for easier identification. The name plus the postal address of the person or company issuing the appraisals should be listed next. After that, a declaration statement mentioning the names of the parties involved in the agreement should be put down saying who has assigned rights to the other.
The agreement should always comply with the standards set by law. Other acknowledgments that each party is supposed to heed to should also get listed in this document. The model should conclude by stating the period when the agreement will be active.
Voided Assignment Letter
The top of the model should read that it is a voided assignment letter for quick identification of the form. After that, on the left, the name of the person of corporate who is going to receive the document is listed together with other personal information such as a postal address and an email address.
The right should have the date of when the paper gets published. Finally, the reasons as to why there is a voided assignment letter must be on it and signatures of the parties involved should also be given to show that they agree with the stated reasons.
Incentive Assignment Letter
The name of the company issuing the letter should be the first thing on the document and the date below that. Next should be the name and personal details of the person or entity meant to receive it. The incentive assignment should be listed giving all crucial information about it and contacts which the receiver can contact for further negotiations. Finally, it concludes with a short formal message to the receiver.
Professional Assignment Letter
Buddy Assignment Letter
Friendly Assignment Letter
Sample Assignment Letter
Assignment Letter from Trainee
Volunteer Assignment Letter
What are the Advantages of Having our Assignment Letter Templates?
One may lack sufficient knowledge on what to include when forming this document; therefore, the main benefit of having our template is that it gives you the proper guidance on which information to include in your paper and an order of how to put it down.
Another advantage is that our templates are files which you can save on you PC; thus, you can make references from the file again in future when forming assignment letters. Finally, our templates are always designed to help you create one as per the standard legal requirements. You may also see Sample Personal Letters
How Have We Made our Assignment Letter Templates the Best for you?
Our models get worked on by the experts whom we have interviewed thoroughly and proven that they are talented. We also ensure that they have sufficient experience in the field for our templates to be as effective for you as possible. Another way we have made our templates the best for you is by making them editable such that you can do any modifications you prefer on them. Finally, they are printable for you to be able to make as many copies as you want. You may also see Friendly Letters
Which are the Most Crucial Aspects that I Should Entail in my Assignment Letter?
Always list the name of parties in the agreement and also sufficient personal information about them. Never forget to indicate the date you publish the model and the period of how long the contract will be valid. Ensure that both parties agree on what gets stated on the Professional Letters then seal the deal with signatures of each. Finally, since it is a legal document, always ensure that your agreement complies with the provisions of the law to avoid awful penalties.
We ensure that we meet the requirements of all our customers according to their needs. Those that would want a fully customed model can always communicate to us so that we can direct you to our experts to help them understand what kind of make you want. We have customer care agents that are always available to tend to all the inquiries you may have and the consultations you may need. Consider acquiring our accessible and affordable assignment letter template today, to guide you while creating the document you need.
If you have any DMCA issues on this post, please contact us!